An orchestra is a living symbol of a community’s thriving cultural life.
A city with a vital arts base is a city with a flourishing symphony orchestra. With a thriving international airport, enhanced infrastructure, dedicated economic development, vast growth in housing, and the commitment to rebuild Panama City “Bigger, Better, Stronger,” the strength and resolve shown by community members and supporters have moved the city forward and lifted our spirits, and have fostered the image of an emerging cosmopolitan center.
Likewise, the Panama City POPS Orchestra, once a small, local troupe of volunteer musicians, has evolved into a high-quality, professional institution that has garnered attention across the Florida Panhandle and beyond.
In that spirit of development, the Board of Directors has voted to change its name to the Panama City Symphony Orchestra, effective July 1, 2020. The reasons are as follows:
• The new name offers versatility in future programming.
• It reflects the extremely high level of our performances, truly defining the Orchestra.
• It will attract stronger and more experienced musicians, producing higher quality performances.
• It will attract audiences from culture-based communities who look to settle in Bay County, raising the stature and image of our community.
• It will afford a stronger base for attracting potential funding partners.
Only the name will change. The Conductor and the Board are committed to maintaining the Classical/Pops format that our audience expects and embraces. We are committed to engaging and educating audiences of all ages. We are committed to excellence.
We thank you for your past support and for your anticipated interest in the future success of The Panama City Symphony Orchestra.